Brazil legend Pele was sent a message of support on Thursday by manager Tite and his players after the 82-year-old was admitted to hospital this week.
Pele, who is having treatment for metastatic cancer, was taken into hospital with swelling all over his body and heart problems, but was in a stable condition last night.
‘We found out the news on Wednesday,’ Tite said ahead of Brazil’s group game with Cameroon.
‘He is possibly one of the biggest representatives of Brazil. We wish him good health. That’s the feeling of all of us from the Brazil squad. We are wishing Pele all the best.’
Brazil have already qualified for the knockout stages but are still without star man Neymar after he injured an ankle in the first game against Serbia.
There are hopes the striker will be fit for Brazil’s last-16 game but he is yet to return to training.
Tite confirmed he would rotate his squad for Friday night’s fixture against Cameroon, with 39-year-old Dani Alves set to become Brazil’s oldest World Cup player.
Tite and his Brazil squad sent national hero Pele a message of support on Thursday
Pele is one of the greatest footballers of all time and won three World Cups with Brazil
‘We have played two matches with two different teams and now we play the third match with a completely different team,’ Tite said.
‘We’ll make a few changes and we’ll include key players. In two games we’ve used 19 players. We do not call them starting players or reserves. They are all our players.’
Tite faced criticism for including Alves — who is expected to captain the side — in his 26-player squad after he only recovered recently from a serious knee injury.
Tite’s Brazil are preparing to face Cameroon in their final group game having already qualified
The former Barcelona right back, who now plays his club football in Mexico, insisted he was not bothered by doubts over his inclusion.
‘It makes me very proud to be here,’ he said. ‘I’ve been with the Brazil squad for many years and to be able to wrap up this cycle, playing a World Cup, makes me very happy.
‘It’s been 16 years and I’ve tried to do my very best. Life always rewards the people who love what they do, who do their best in the mission. I’m reaping what I have planted over those 16 years.’
Dani Alves’ selection drew criticism from Brazilian fans and he has only recently recovered from injury
Pele is in a ‘stable condition’ and ‘in full control of vital functions’ after being admitted to hospital in Sao Paulo.
The 82-year-old, who is currently undergoing treatment for metastatic cancer, was taken into the Albert Einstein Hospital on Tuesday with swelling all over his body and heart issues.
It was also reported that his chemotherapy treatment is no longer working and Pele was suffering from mental confusion after being admitted.
However, an update from the hospital said the three-time World Cup winner did not need to be admitted to an Intensive Care Unit [ICU].
A statement issued to the Brazilian media said: ‘After medical evaluation, the patient was taken to a common room, without the need for hospitalisation in a semi-intensive unit or ICU.
‘The former player is in full control of vital function and [in a] stable clinical condition.’
Brazilian football legend Pele, 82, is in a ‘stable condition’ in hospital and not in intensive care after he was admitted on Tuesday suffering from ‘swelling and heart failure issues’
The hospital confirmed Pele had been taken into hospital ‘for a reassessment of the chemotherapy treatment of the colon tumour identified in September 2021.’
There is no time frame on Pele’s hospital stay, and his wife Marcia Aoki and carer are by his bedside.
However, Pele’s daughter Kely Nascimento, who is not in Brazil, had insisted on Tuesday that there was no need for alarm and that her father’s hospital admission is ‘no surprise or emergency’.
She posted on Instagram: ‘Lots of alarm in the media today concerning my dad’s health. He is in the hospital regulating medication.
Pele’s wife and carer took him to hospital earlier this week but his condition is now stable
Pele’s daughter Kely Nascimento insisted there was no need for alarm in a social media post
‘There is no emergency or new dire prediction. I will be there for New Year’s and promise to post some pictures.’
Pele was hospitalised for six days last year and underwent surgery to remove a tumour in his colon. The Globo news site in Brazil said Pele was undergoing routine examinations in Sao Paulo’s Albert Einstein Hospital when the undisclosed issue was detected.
Taking on social media at the time, Pele allayed any fears over his health.
‘My friends, thank you very much for the kind messages,’ he wrote on Instagram.
‘I thank God for feeling very well and for allowing Dr Fabio and Dr Miguel to take care of my health.
Pele scored 655 goals in 700 club career games, while he netted 77 times in 92 caps for Brazil
Pele has been in poor in health in recent years with a number of visits to the hospital
‘Last Saturday I underwent surgery to remove a suspicious lesion in the right colon. The tumour was identified during the tests I mentioned last week.
‘Fortunately, I’m used to celebrating great victories alongside you. I will face this match with a smile on my face, a lot of optimism and joy for living surrounded by the love of my family and friends.’
In 2020, Pele’s son said his father was depressed over his poor health and reluctant to leave the house because he cannot walk without assistance, although Pele later publicly denied that statement.
The Brazilian had said: ‘I am good. I continue to accept my physical limitations in the best way possible but I intend to keep the ball rolling.
‘I have good days and bad days. That is normal for people of my age. I am not afraid, I am determined, confident in what I do.’
Pele is regarded as one of the greatest footballers in history and is the only player to win three World Cups.
He scored 655 goals in 700 club career games, while he also netted 77 times in 92 caps for Brazil.
#Tite #Brazil #national #icon #Pele #admitted #hospital